About the Wende Museum
“Wende” is a German word that means “transformation.” It is commonly used to describe the era of uncertainty and possibility leading up to and following the fall of the Berlin Wall. Headquartered in a renovated National Guard Armory in Culver City, the Wende Museum, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, is an experimental and forward-thinking institution that pairs unparalleled collections from the Cold War era with contemporary artists, filmmakers, musicians, scholars, and others.
We are looking for a collaborative, adaptable, detail-oriented Visitor Engagement Manager who can proactively lead the daily operations of our Visitor Engagement (VE) team, and who has a passion for visitor services and event planning.
The Visitor Engagement Manager plays a key role in developing the overall museum experience, from gallery visits and tours to hosting community organizers and collaborating on large-scale special events at the Wende. While many of these activities remain on hold in accordance with public health measures, they will entail a large part of this position’s responsibilities.
This is a supervisory, fast-paced position with high inter-departmental exposure. This position reports to the Head of Operations.
The role of Visitor Engagement Manager requires the flexibility to work a Wednesday through Sunday week, including some (planned) evenings to support ongoing programming, the museum’s public open days (Fri–Sun), and events. An average workweek of 40 hours is expected. Competitive salary, with medical/dental/vision benefits and paid vacation and holidays.
The full-time position is available May 2021.
- Manage and supervise a team of Visitor Engagement Associates, including scheduling and training.
- Oversee daily VE operations including opening and closing procedures.
- Following L.A. County Health Guidelines, and as permitted by Culver City officials, coordinate weekly public and private visitation and events under the leadership of the Head of Operations.
- Coordinate hospitality for special visits and internal meetings with the Development Associate.
- Produce monthly visitor engagement data reports.
- Manage gift shop operations.
- Stock and order exhibition-related and evergreen inventory.
- Manage gift shop inventory, generate monthly reports for the Director of Finance.
Education & Programming
- Coordinate with the Chief Curator, Head of Collections, and Education Manager to plan for tours, exhibition-specific programming, and special projects.
- Responsive, resourceful, and creative problem solver
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Must be able to quickly acclimate to a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management, emotional maturity, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Can multitask a wide variety of activities, prioritizing conflicting needs
- Collaborative: able to coordinate a diverse lineup of events across all museum departments
- Enjoys interacting with museum patrons
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience in event planning and hospitality
- Demonstrated team management experience
- Familiarity with cultural organizations or non-profits is ideal, but not required
- Strong computer skills including expertise in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
- Valid California Driver’s License and reliable automobile with insurance coverage for use on the job
- Experience with Blackbaud/Altru and Adobe Creative Suite a plus
How to apply
Recognizing that this is an ongoing process, the Wende Museum is committed to continually increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and sustainability. People of color, LGBTQIA+ people, people without formal education, and others who may have been marginalized by conventional hiring practices are encouraged to apply.
Submit a resume and brief cover letter in a single PDF attachment with the subject line “Visitor Engagement Manager” to email@example.com.