The City of Santa Monica’s Department of Transportation is hiring for a Transportation Marketing Coordinator to develop, coordinate and implement marketing and community engagement initiatives to engage and inform stakeholders. The annual salary range is $81,816 to $101,004.
The Santa Monica Department of Transportation (DOT) plans, builds, maintains, and operates a multi-modal transportation network that connects people with opportunity, improves lives, and protects the environment. DOT leads the City of Santa Monica’s vision for a non-auto-centric future, while ensuring safe, reliable, equitable and sustainable access to streets, through innovative bus, bike, pedestrian, micromobility, and first-last mile options.
DOT combines planning, operations, maintenance, design, and programming for fixed-route, paratransit, and multi-modal transportation services under one administration. DOT also oversees traffic engineering, shared mobility and micromobility regulation, transportation permitting, and parking operations in the City.
The City of Santa Monica’s liberal fringe benefits for full-time employment include sick leave, holiday and vacation pay; the Public Employees Retirement System; medical, dental and vision insurance; credit union, deferred compensation, tuition reimbursement; Dependent Care Assistance Plan and Marine Park Childcare Center.
Works under the general supervision of the Transit Community Engagement and Customer Experience Administrator and/or designee who outlines work, monitors work in progress and reviews completed work. Exercises general supervision over assigned staff and outside vendors, as assigned.
Work is performed primarily indoors in a home or work office setting, in accordance with the City’s Telework/Flexible Workplace Policy, with frequent interruptions. Office work may require sitting for prolonged periods of time and using a computer keyboard, mouse, and screen. Physical demands include sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, and involves walking. Work includes attending events and meetings at off-site locations. May be required to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Develops marketing plans and coordinates work activities with internal and external partners to launch creative marketing and community engagement campaigns in a timely and consistent manner.
- Identifies new opportunities to improve Department of Transportation’s (DoT) digital presence (social, email, website) across the user journey.
- Creates and maintains the department’s social media marketing plan and editorial calendar.
- Manages daily social media scheduling, communications, social listening, and responses.
- Ensures that all paid and organic posts are accurate, timely, relevant, and on brand. Drives key strategic priorities and/or goals to better reach target audiences.
- Manages email marketing, including writing, building, and scheduling targeted promotional and automated emails, and optimizes email performance.
- Ensures quality control for all aspects of email communications, including testing, approvals, proofreading, and appropriate audience versioning and segmentation.
- Performs in-depth analytics across platforms to understand opportunities, identifies trends, and recommends new ways to attract and retain stakeholders, and broaden reach and engagement.
- Produces accurate weekly and monthly reports/presentations on overall channel performance and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Monitors campaign success metrics, including return on investment (ROI) and conversions.
- Prepares copy and marketing materials that align with DoT’s strategic priorities, including digital asset, print collateral, and website copy.
- Maintains best practice standards related to web content and search engine optimization.
- Writes creative briefs and works effectively with graphic designers, illustrators, photographers, videographers, and printers to develop marketing materials.
- Negotiates, coordinates and monitors work by marketing, community engagement and advertising consultants. Ensures that contract work is done on schedule, on budget and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contractual agreement.
- Verifies consultants’ invoices and works with the Finance Department to ensure delivery of timely and accurate payments.
- Prepares and maintains financial spreadsheets and documents related to marketing initiatives. Provides data needed for preparation of campaign and division annual budgets.
- Coordinates and implements stakeholder outreach activities for community programs and services.
- Collaborates with staff to develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with community-based organizations, key stakeholders, and other partners.
- Evaluates emerging trends, best practices, and technologies. Provides thought leadership and perspective for adoption, where appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Principles, practices, concepts, and techniques used in developing and executing marketing, public information, and customer engagement plans, programs, and strategies.
- Digital marketing and advertising strategies, tools, resources, and best practices
- Email marketing tools, best practices, and platforms
- Social media including channels, platforms, content, analytics, advertising and creative
- HTML, CSS, SEO and marketing automation technology is a plus
- Methods for acquiring and using data to identify trends and metrics
- Principles and procedures related to research, record keeping, business and report writing, and contract negotiation
- Principles of community engagement and partnership development and management
- Vendor and client relationship management
- Principles of customer service
- Basic supervisory techniques
- Develop and implement marketing plans
- Generate, coordinate, and analyze reports, statistics, data, and program outcomes
- Perform outreach for community programs and services
- Communicate effectively and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing
- Follow direction, ask questions, problem-solve, and manage multiple priorities
- Work in a demanding, fast-paced environment and bring creative ideas to the organization
- Organize and be detail-oriented during the editing, drafting, publishing processes of content creation
- Use social media scheduling and marketing tools
- Maintain confidentiality
- Negotiate, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate contract services
- Understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, contracts, funding agreements, and City and department policies and procedures
- Learn governmental budget concepts and principles
- Prepare and present effective presentations
- Analyze problems and develop effective and realistic solutions
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with City employees, City departments, community, consultants and the general public
- Provide effective customer service
- Any bachelor’s degree from a recognized accredited college or university. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, community relations or public affairs, or a closely related field.
- Three years of paid, work experience performing marketing, digital marketing, and/or community engagement.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Possession of or the ability to obtain and maintain a valid Class C driver license or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
How to apply
All applicants must submit an online City application and required supplemental questions to be considered for this position. Please note, applications may be rejected if incomplete. Resumes, CVs and cover letters are not reviewed as part of the application screening process and should not be submitted.
The application closes Feb. 9, 2023, at 5:30 p.m. Pacific: Click Here to Apply
NOTE: You must submit a copy of your college level-transcripts or diploma with your application. Applicants who indicate receipt of college level coursework or degree from a foreign institution must provide United States credential equivalency verification along with a copy of your college diploma/transcripts. All materials must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than close of business on the application closing date. Failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified. You may upload and attach a scanned copy of your transcripts or diploma to your on-line application, or e-mail a copy to email@example.com.
All applicants will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted, will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
Testing may consist of the following:
Oral Interview: 100%
NOTE: If three or more qualified City employees apply and pass the examination, a promotional list will be established in addition to an open-competitive list. If fewer than three qualified City employees pass the examination, the appointing authority, in accordance with the City’s civil service rules and regulations, can decline to use a promotional list, in which case a promotional list will not be established for this position.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Candidates who have successfully completed all prior phases of the selection process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
COVID 19 Vaccination: Proof of COVID 19 vaccination will be required as a condition of employment unless a religious or medical/disability exemption is granted by the City.
The City of Santa Monica is a progressive, inclusive and culturally-rich community. As leaders in public service, we strive to be an employer of choice by attracting and retaining a workforce where people of diverse races, religions, cultures and lifestyles thrive. Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where our employees are empowered to perform at their highest level and where their differences make a positive impact.
The City is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build balanced teams from all walks of life without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates and embraces the diversity of our employees. Join us!
REQUESTS FOR ACCOMMODATIONS: Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities. Call (310) 458-8246, TDD (310) 458-8696 (Hearing Impaired Only).
Please note the request for reasonable accommodations must be made to Human Resources at least three work days prior to the examination.