SOCIAL MEDIA & EMAIL COORDINATOR
Monday – Friday (Full-time, hourly non-exempt)
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
The Social Media & Email Coordinator is a critical, cross-departmental role at David Kordansky Gallery, responsible for planning and producing engaging and effective social media content and email newsletters to achieve the gallery’s goals of increasing social media and email KPIs; presenting the work of its artists with passion, care, and precision; and creating engaging experiences that connect audiences to the artists’ work. This role is accountable for driving overall social media performance; developing social media content strategies; managing and updating content calendars; and creating social media analytics reports to glean insights from data and translate them into actionable recommendations.
We are a collaborative organization, and the Social Media & Email Coordinator will regularly meet and communicate with cross-functional teams to develop and produce social media and email newsletter content. Successful candidates will be able to effectively collaborate with colleagues and manage responsibilities independently with a sharp attention to detail in a fast-paced environment. This position is a full-time role, Monday through Friday, and will require flexibility for additional hours based on the needs of the gallery. A generous benefits package is offered.
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
David Kordansky Gallery is one of the most dynamic venues for contemporary art in Los Angeles and in New York, and is internationally regarded as a leading gallery of its generation. Established in 2003, the exhibition program is dedicated to presenting artists’ work with passion and intellectual rigor, and to bringing the utmost care and precision to showcasing artistic visions. The Gallery is committed to presentations that blend scholarship and connoisseurship with equity and inclusion. We are an institution rooted in our hometown of Los Angeles, and in California, even as we embrace cultural activity as a fully global phenomenon.
Maintaining a culture of belonging is important to us—we strive for a workplace where every single team member feels valued, supported, and heard. We believe in the power of creativity and seek opportunities for connection, collaboration, and learning between cultures and communities. We are committed to championing policies and practices that promote diversity, foster cultural equity, and sustain an environment of inclusivity. The Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Gallery does not discriminate, and does not permit discrimination against its employees, interns, volunteers, or applicants. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of individuals who contribute their time and talents to our mission, and we pledge to create a safe, accessible, and inclusive place to work.
The Gallery’s consistent growth, developed in tandem with its artists’ ambitions, occurs through the unique participation and contribution of each employee. We look for colleagues who are the most driven, the most talented, and the most creative. Every member of the Gallery’s team should aim for excellence and ingenuity, surpassing challenges and discovering new possibilities together. We value long-term commitment and loyalty, and in turn provide avenues for career advancement across all departments.
Social Media and Content Creation:
- Social Media Strategy: Develop and implement innovative Instagram and WeChat strategies to achieve the gallery’s goals; build awareness for the gallery and its artists with U.S., European, and Asian audiences; and ultimately, increase the gallery’s following and engagement rate
- Content and Creative: Create compelling social media content, including photography, videos, and copy; write all social media copy and ensure posts are 100% error-free; and manage and update content calendars and other gallery documents and spreadsheets
- Community Engagement: Engage with the gallery’s community, monitoring and responding to comments, direct messages, and mentions to positively impact brand reputation and foster engagement; respond to questions and inquiries in a timely manner
- Performance Reporting: Manage social media KPIs (organic and paid) and be prepared to pivot strategy quickly based on new findings and data trends; produce monthly recaps, summarizing highlights/insights and ways to optimize
- Stay up to date on the social media presence of peer galleries and museums as well as new social media tools and best practices, identifying ways for the gallery to be at the forefront of social media trends
- Content and Creative: build, test, and schedule email newsletters, collaborating with the Marketing & Communications and Artist Relations teams on visual assets, copy/messaging, and design of the gallery’s email newsletters
- Assist with managing the email newsletter calendar
- Performance & Reporting: Optimize email performance via A/B tests; analyze email marketing KPIs to better understand the gallery’s email subscribers and improve performance metrics
- Lead the planning of updates to the gallery’s homepage, including scheduling, project management of the related tasks, and enabling/disabling updates
- Update and maintain the “News” section of the gallery website
- Other website updates as directed
Our ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented and creative with exceptional organizational skills; an excellent verbal and written communicator; and possesses the ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We seek candidates who are extremely self-motivated, responsible, and efficient, and who hold a sincere appreciation for and experience with navigating diverse cultural spaces. In addition:
- Previous experience working in an art gallery, art museum, or other type of museum and/or knowledge of contemporary art strongly preferred
- At least three (3) years of experience in social media and digital marketing strongly preferred, including demonstrable experience leading and managing paid campaigns on Instagram
- BA in a related field preferred, but consideration is given to candidates with relevant education and work experience
- Demonstrated experience in planning, developing and producing high quality content including: Instagram posts, email newsletters, digital ads, photo and video assets, and web assets
- Sophisticated visual aesthetic appropriate to a high-profile art gallery setting
- Excellent writing and copy editing/proofreading skills with knowledge of AP and/or Chicago Manual of Style
- Proficiency using the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) to design and create visual assets for social media (eg. MP4s, resizing images, etc.)
- Proficiency with Sprout Social or Hootsuite (or similar social media analytics tool), native Facebook/Instagram analytics tools, and Facebook Ads Manager
- Proficiency using email marketing platforms such as Campaign Monitor or Mailchimp to build and send email newsletters
- Experience with WeChat strongly preferred; experience with YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, and/or display or programmatic advertising a plus
- Strong analytic and reporting skills with ability to identify opportunities and make recommendations for optimization
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and timelines simultaneously with sharp attention to detail
- Skills in a Mac-based environment required including Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience using project management software such as Asana or Basecamp preferred
- Basic knowledge of databases such as ArtBase / FileMaker, Artlogic, or similar database preferred
- Fluency in multiple languages welcomed
- BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a full-time hourly position (overtime eligible) at 40 hours per week.
- The pay scale for this position is $26 – $36 per hour.
Benefits for full-time employees, following a waiting period, include:
- Premium PPO or HMO medical insurance (fully subsidized, at no cost to employee)
- Vision insurance (fully subsidized, at no cost to employee)
- Dental, long-term disability, and voluntary life insurance
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid personal and vacation days (starting at 13 days annually, increased over time)
- Paid sick time (6 days annually)
- Paid holidays and floating holidays (10 days annually)
- Paid gallery closures (typically 8-10 days annually)
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan (with employer contribution)
- Staff discounts on gallery publications and merchandise
- This position is located in Los Angeles, CA.
- The gallery greatly values the health & safety of its employees, and is following all city, county, and state COVID-19 guidelines for businesses.
Approximately 60% of the work required of this position can be completed remotely, with weekly in-person visits required.
How to apply
Please submit the following via email with the subject line “DKG LA: Social Media & Email Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter detailing your previous experience
- a complete CV
In your application, please note all relevant skills requested in the qualifications above.
Please note: a sample Instagram post based on a David Kordansky Gallery artist or exhibition + a brief skills assessment will be conducted as part of the interview process.
BIPOC and LGTBQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with most, if not all, of the requested qualifications are invited to apply. Submissions including the above items will be prioritized. No phone or walk-in inquiries, please.