Bonhams, the international auction house is seeking a detail oriented and reliable individual to support our Los Angeles based Chairman in all facets of administrative and sale related tasks. A successful candidate is a self-starter who is looking to grow within a global auction house while handling a variety of EA related tasks, providing support to our Specialists departments as needed. They will be an excellent communicator, diplomatic and positive team player, and a relationship builder with a strong desire to learn and grow.
This role is full-time and based out of our Los Angeles headquarters.
- Daily correspondence with Trust & Estates community and Chairman’s private clients
- Communicate and coordinate with clients and follow-up with specialists
- Coordinate presentations, team communications and large team meetings, along with any agenda materials
- Maintain relevant files for the office including filing and sorting incoming electronic and hard copy mail
- Manage the calendar and all correspondence for Chairman, answering all inquiries promptly
- Arrange detailed domestic and international travel itineraries, along with expenses, when needed
- Undertake special projects as directed by Chairman
- With guidance from Chairman learn to build own client base
Provide coverage and support for our Specialist departments on an as-needed basis in the following areas:
- Work on consignor contracts and file management pre- to post-sale using in-house database, observe sale deadlines, and oversee that important corrections have been made
- Assist with inventory maintenance and property care pre- and post-sale
- Oversee and maintain a safe and orderly stock system of property; receive and measure property; assist with property transfers between our locations
- Efficient handling of client enquiries and day to day administration of the departments, coordinating with respective Specialists in our global salerooms, including Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York
- Sale co-ordination: production of sale labels and lot numbers for all sale items, assisting on viewings, assistance with condition report requests (including taking additional images as requested)
- Help review online catalogue content; request star lots and flag preview lots for the website
- Assist with catalogue production and preparation as needed
- Assist in monitoring of the relevant department pages on Bonhams website to ensure sale information is up to date
- Provide assistance to Client Services in resolution of client issues as necessary
- Assist with set up of previews and phone bidding/clerking
- Be available to travel as needed for offsite previews and/or sales following all applicable advisories and guidelines
- 2+ years of work experience in a similar role supporting a busy professional
- BA and or/MA in Art History or related field
- Highly organized and thoughtful with pleasant, personable demeanor
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required
- Discreet, dependable and mature, maintaining the highest standards of confidentiality
- Ability to pivot & shift quickly and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Mac/PC’s, Outlook, Teams, Excel and presentation programs
- A working knowledge of and passion for fine art and familiarity with the auction industry
- Fluency in a foreign language is a plus
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email at Recruitment.us@Bonhams.com, with ‘Executive & Department Assistant,’ in the subject line.
In addition to an active and progressive work environment, Bonhams offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, retirement plans with a company match, flexible spending accounts and commuter benefits. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and offer a generous vacation policy.
Bonhams is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.