Contemporary Art Review Los Angeles (Carla) is a quarterly magazine, online art journal, and podcast committed to being an active source of critical dialogue surrounding Los Angeles’ art community. Carla serves as a centralized space for art writing that is bold, honest, approachable, and focused on the here and now.
Carla is hiring an administrative assistant to provide support on administrative and organizational tasks, with a focus on supporting workflows related to advertising, grants, events, membership, editorial production, and shipping. They will work closely with and report directly to the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor. Please note that this is not an editorial or design-related position.
This is an hourly payroll position, 2 days a week (16 hours) to start, with the goal of increasing to 3 days a week (24 hours) in the coming months. This is a hybrid position, with one in-person and one remote workday, with a desired start date of November 1st.
Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Outreach and management of the Carla Job Board
- Assist with tracking print and online ad reservations
- Perform quality control and communicate with advertising clients
- Communication with advertisers and gallery partners
- Assist with outreach and communication related to programming and events
- Assist with member-related outreach, communication, and organization
- Assist with research and workflow of grant applications
- Assist with audiobook/ podcast production
- Working in-person events as a representative of Carla
- General administrative tasks
- Assist in supervising intern’s work on tasks related to the website, email newsletters, and social media.
Applicant must have access to their own computer and reliable transportation. Ability to run occasional errands and work off-site is required. Ideal candidates will be communicative, have close attention to detail, and have the ability to work independently and prioritize tasks. A willingness to adapt and work as a member of a team is a must, as are strong writing and communication skills. Previous experience working for an arts organization is required. Experience with Google Drive, Excel/Google Sheets, and Acrobat is a plus—working/basic knowledge of WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign, and Mailchimp is ideal. Applicant must have general familiarity with Carla’s output, mission, and role within the L.A. art community.
Applicants should be in the Greater Los Angeles area and should ideally be involved in the Los Angeles art community. A general interest in and knowledge of contemporary art is required. BIPOC, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, and other candidates from communities historically underrepresented in the arts are especially encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please send a brief cover letter and CV/résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Administrative Assistant Application” in the subject line. Applications are due October 20. We look forward to hearing from you!