ABOUT PETER BLAKE GALLERY:
Peter Blake Gallery has been a been a definitive source for modern and contemporary art in Laguna Beach since 1993. The gallery’s program is focused on monochrome, concrete, and reductive abstraction, with a focus on California Minimalism and Light and Space. In 2015, the gallery’s program expanded to include Collectible Design, with an emphasis on historic movements from the 20th century, traversing the decades from Bauhaus to Modern.
Known for its rigorously curated solo and group exhibitions, the gallery has an ongoing history of exhibiting artists long due for reappraisal. Exhibited artists include Peter Alexander, Lita Albuquerque, Chuck Arnoldi, Larry Bell, Mary Corse, Ron Cooper, Tony DeLap, Fred Eversley, Joe Goode, James Hayward, Scot Heywood, John McLaughlin, John M. Miller, Ed Moses, Helen Pashgian, James Turrell, and De Wain Valentine.
Designers exhibited include Phillip Arctander, Carl Aubock, Michel Boyer, Gerrit Rietveld, Paul Evans, Sergio Rodrigues, Pierre Guariche, Pierre Jeanneret, Vladimir Kagan, Angelo Mangiarotti, Mathieu Matégot, Hans Olsen, Charlotte Perriand, Antoine Philippon & Jacqueline Lecoq, Gio Ponti, Joaquim Tenreiro, KEM Weber, Jorge Zalszupin, and Marco Zanuso.
Over the last decade, the gallery has participated in prestigious art fairs including The Armory, Art Los Angeles Contemporary, Collective Design, Dallas Art Fair, Design Miami, EXPO Chicago, and Seattle Art Fair.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (FULL-TIME)
Peter Blake Gallery is seeking a highly motivated, extremely organized, personable, and detail-oriented person who wants to be part of a contemporary art gallery in Laguna Beach. The Associate Director role is a full-time position, five days per week, and requires flexibility for additional hours based on the needs of the Gallery.
As a core member of the gallery team, this position will require hands-on management of the daily operation at our art gallery. This an exciting opportunity for an arts professional who is passionate about working at art galleries and driven to play a substantial role in maintaining a successful contemporary art gallery.
- Primary duty is to manage tasks related to gallery exhibitions, such as preparing exhibition documents; artwork and installation photography; managing gallery website and online listing platforms; and marketing via press contacts and social media.
- Maintaining communication with Gallery Principal, Gallery Director, Artists, Advisors, Clients, etc. is an essential function in this position.
- Utilize Photoshop and InDesign to prepare installation images, consignment agreements, catalogues, press releases, and exhibition proposals.
- Independently carrying out administrative and coordinating functions, such as preparing invoices and relevant record keeping; coordinating fine-art and design shipping requests; booking storage space, moving trucks, and hotels; as well as responding to both in-person and online inquiries.
- Art handling and preparation duties include photographing and documenting works in order to maintain up-to-date records of the gallery’s holdings; installation and de-installation; and carefully storing works pursuant to the materials’ composition.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- At least 1 year of experience in an art world setting, preferably in a gallery
- Highly developed interpersonal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
Hours: 40 hours per week, flexible on timing
How to apply
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
Cover letter and resume in PDF (or .doc format)
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR in the subject line