M+B is a contemporary art gallery in Los Angeles seeking an Associate Director to join the team. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years’ experience at a gallery working with artists and doing sales. Must be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, organizational abilities, exacting attention to detail and the ability to work both independently and as a team member.
This is a full-time position, Tuesday through Saturday, requiring flexibility with hours and ability to travel domestically and abroad for fairs, artist’s exhibitions, etc.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary commensurate with experience. Position includes benefits.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Client development and sales
- Serve as an artist liaison
- Possess an in-depth understanding of each artist’s individual practice and biography
- Maintain relationships with collectors, press and museum professionals
- Coordinate gallery exhibitions
- Plan and manage art fair presentations and applications, both domestic and international
- Write and edit gallery press releases
- Manage the day-to-day affairs of the gallery with respect to the other Directors, Registrar, Archivist and Gallery Assistant
We are seeking a professional who is fully-committed, creative and a proactive problem solver. The candidate should project a dynamic and positive demeanor and enjoy working with the public as well as with co-workers and gallery artists. Working knowledge of Mac computers, art databases (Artlogic is preferred) and social media are required. Knowledge of Trello is a plus. Candidate will already have connections to private and institutional collectors. A thorough understanding of contemporary art is essential.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Associate Director Position.” Please no calls or walk-ins.