Active, internationally focused artist’s office seeks a fine arts assistant registrar to provide support for all aspects of artwork cataloguing, condition reporting, proper collections storage, physical and digital record-keeping, shipping arrangements, consignments, and loans.
- Assist with the care and handling of the fine art collection. Prepare condition reports—coordinate necessary assessments and treatments with contract conservators.
- Assist with cataloguing historic bodies of work.
- Enter data into collections management system, maintain lists and exhibition records. Clean up data according to a standardized and consistent style.
- Assist with incoming and outgoing shipments including packing, crating, insurance coverage, proper documentation
- Coordinate consignments to gallery representatives and individual loans to institutions: review requests and facility reports, get approvals from stakeholders, prepare contracts
- Issue and track internal and external work orders and purchase orders, liaise with vendors
- Track upcoming auction lots and enter results into database, provide reports, respond to cataloguing inquiries from auction houses
- Maintain registration files, respond to research requests, provide content for website updates, proof catalogue captions
- 2+ years of registration experience in an artist’s studio, art museum, or fine art gallery.
- Understanding of and demonstrated ability to work with collections management database systems.
- The successful candidate will be energetic yet meticulous, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Job is primarily desk and office based, requiring use of a computer in a Mac environment, though may occasionally require lifting up to 30 lbs and mobility throughout the office building. Travel not typically required, though occasional offsite work may be necessary. Ability to hold a valid driver’s license or have reliable transportation necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
Hours: In office Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
How to apply
Email brief cover letter and 1-page resume to email@example.com
Please include “Assistant Registrar” in the subject line.
A background check and current references will be required of successful candidates. Successful hire will be subject to a 3 month probationary period.