Monday – Friday (full-time, hourly non-exempt)
David Kordansky Gallery seeks a highly motivated, extremely organized, and collaborative individual to join our team as Assistant Registrar. Reporting to the Registrar, the Assistant Registrar is a critical, cross-departmental role, responsible for supporting a range of significant functions of the Operations and Exhibitions teams, including data entry, condition reporting, and shipping receiving and release. This position is a full-time role and may require flexibility for additional hours based on the needs of the gallery. A generous benefits package is offered.
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
David Kordansky Gallery is one of the most dynamic venues for contemporary art in Los Angeles and in New York and is internationally regarded as a leading gallery of its generation. Established in 2003, the exhibition program is dedicated to presenting artists’ work with passion and intellectual rigor, and to bringing the utmost care and precision to showcasing artistic visions. The Gallery is committed to presentations that blend scholarship and connoisseurship with equity and inclusion. We are an institution rooted in our hometown of Los Angeles, and in California, even as we embrace cultural activity as a fully global phenomenon.
Maintaining a culture of belonging is important to us—we strive for a workplace where every single team member feels valued, supported, and heard. We believe in the power of creativity and seek opportunities for connection, collaboration, and learning between cultures and communities. We are committed to championing policies and practices that promote diversity, foster cultural equity, and sustain an environment of inclusivity. The Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Gallery does not discriminate, and does not permit discrimination against its employees, interns, volunteers, or applicants. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of individuals who contribute their time and talents to our mission, and we pledge to create a safe, accessible, and inclusive place to work.
The Gallery’s consistent growth, developed in tandem with its artists’ ambitions, occurs through the unique participation and contribution of each employee. We look for colleagues who are the most driven, the most talented, and the most creative. Every member of the Gallery’s team should aim for excellence and ingenuity, surpassing challenges and discovering new possibilities together. We value long-term commitment and loyalty, and in turn provide avenues for career advancement across all departments.
- Assist the gallery Operations Team and the Registration Department on an as-needed basis with data entry, condition reporting, and shipping receiving and release.
- Maintain a high-level standard of professionalism and care in all aspects of artwork registration and communication.
- Receive new database record requests from the team and generate records.
- Generate condition reports (incoming and outgoing), compile, and input on database and server.
- Assist with long-term organizational projects related to inventory records, shipments, and storage.
- Perform inventory audits, organize storage bays, and identify items that require better packaging or markings.
- Organize the department record filing system.
Our ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented and creative with exceptional organizational skills; an excellent verbal and written communicator; and possesses the ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We seek candidates who are extremely self-motivated, responsible, and efficient, and who hold a sincere appreciation for and experience with navigating diverse cultural spaces. In addition:
- Knowledge of contemporary art required
- One (1) year of professional experience working at a contemporary art gallery, contemporary art museum, and/or artist studio preferred, but consideration is given to candidates with related professional experience
- BA in Modern or Contemporary Art History or related field preferred, but consideration is given to candidates with related professional experience
- Skills in a Mac-based environment required, including: Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel)
- Experience using Asana or similar project management software preferred
- Basic knowledge of databases such as Artlogic, ArtBase, FileMaker (or similar) preferred
- Fluent in multiple languages welcomed
- BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a full-time hourly position (overtime eligible).
- The pay scale for this position is $20 – $25 per hour.
Benefits for full-time employees, following a waiting period, include:
- Premium PPO or HMO medical insurance (fully subsidized, at no cost to employee)
- Vision insurance (fully subsidized, at no cost to employee)
- Dental, long-term disability, and voluntary life insurance
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid personal and vacation days (starting at 13 days annually, increased over time)
- Paid sick time (6 days annually)
- Paid holidays and floating holidays (10 days annually)
- Paid gallery closures (typically 8-10 days annually)
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan (with employer contribution)
- Staff discounts on gallery publications and merchandise
- This position is based in Los Angeles, CA.
- The gallery greatly values the health & safety of its employees, and is following all COVID-19 city, county, and state business guidelines for the pandemic.
- During the pandemic, approximately 80% of the work required of this position can be completed remotely, with weekly in-person work required.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following via email with the subject line “DKG LA: Assistant Registrar” to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter detailing your previous experience and how you would approach the position
- a resume
BIPOC and LGTBQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with most, if not all, of the requested qualifications are invited to apply. Submissions including the above items will be prioritized. No phone or walk-in inquiries, please.