Active, internationally focused artist’s studio and personal collection seeks a fine arts registrar to provide support for all aspects of artwork cataloguing, condition reporting, proper collections storage, and physical and digital record-keeping.
- Responsible for the care and handling of the fine art collection. Catalogue new artworks. Prepare condition reports. Coordinate assessments and treatments with contract conservators. Maintain inventory accuracy via periodic audits. Oversee storage.
- Enter data into collections management system, maintain lists and exhibition records. Clean up historic data according to a standardized and consistent style.
- Liaise with database consultant on system functionality, improvements, and overall data management. Advise and assist staff on system use.
- Oversee incoming and outgoing shipments including packing, crating, insurance coverage, proper documentation
- Coordinate consignments to gallery representatives and individual loans to institutions: review requests and facility reports, get approvals from stakeholders, prepare contracts
- Work with Archivist to compile literature and exhibition histories of individual works, track auction lots, respond to cataloguing inquiries and research requests, provide content for website updates, proof catalogue captions, submit copyright registrations, and work with IP legal team on infringements.
- 4+ years of registration experience in a fine art museum, including work on contracts and shipment logistics, and storage best practices
- High level of familiarity with collections management database systems
- Experience cataloguing fine arts collections in a variety of media and materials
- Museum Studies degree
Job is primarily desk and office based, requiring use of a computer in a Mac environment, though may occasionally require lifting up to 30 lbs and mobility throughout the office building. Travel not typically required, though occasional offsite work may be necessary. Ability to hold a valid driver’s license or have reliable transportation necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
How to apply
Email brief cover letter and 1-page resume to email@example.com
A background check and current references will be required of successful candidates. Successful hire will be subject to a 3 month probationary period.