In honor of its 70th anniversary, the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (LAMAG) is pleased to announce an open call for artworks that will be presented in a forthcoming exhibition. After almost a decade, LAMAG is revisiting its popular open call format for an exhibition of artists living and/or working in Southern California. In-person submission dates are Wednesday, October 25, and Thursday, October 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Predating the biennial juried exhibitions and founded as the All City Outdoor Festival, Open Call evolved into a recurring exhibition opportunity for youth, students, professional and non-professional artists to exhibit their artwork side by side at LAMAG. Traditionally, Open Calls awarded artists best in show and honorable mentions. This year, in lieu of a cash prize, LAMAG will invite an artist to develop a solo exhibition in the gallery’s project space at a later date. The selection will be made by newly appointed LAMAG Curators Hugo Cervantes and Nancy Meyer. For updates and more information including the Open Call entry form, please visit our website at lamag.org.
Submission instructions, including entry and loan forms, will be made available on Friday, October 13, 2023.
How to apply
- Open to artists living and/or working in Southern California (Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties.)
- Artists must be at least 18 years old.
- Works must be original. Participants are responsible for ensuring submissions are not in violation of copyright law or plagiarism guidelines.
- City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs employees are ineligible.
RULES OF ENTRY
- ONE artwork may be submitted by each artist.
- 2-dimensional (2D) maximum dimensions – 36 x 36 inches.
- 2-dimensional (2D) minimum dimensions – 12 x 12 inches.
- All 2-dimensional (2D) works on paper such as collage, photography, drawings, prints, etc. must be framed and covered with Plexiglas.
- Paintings on stretched canvas or wall-hung work must have wire, eye hooks, D-rings or cleats properly installed on the back. Artists are responsible for installation of D-rings or cleats prior to dropping off artwork. Sawtooth hangers will not be accepted.
- 3-dimensional (3D)/sculpture weight maximum – 100 lbs.
- 3-dimensional (3D)/sculpture should be freestanding. If the work requires a shelf or special pedestal, it must be provided by the artist.
- Entry card/Loan Agreement/Condition report must be completed and signed by the artist and LAMAG representative.
- Artists must take their packing material, after dropping off work, and bring packing material back when picking up work.
- Insurance value maximum – $500 unless otherwise agreed and signed off on by the artist and LAMAG Curators.
- Limitations on Media: We will not accept video, artwork incorporating or using live animals, insects, plants, biohazardous materials, artwork weighing over 100 lbs., artwork that is wet, edible, perishable, flammable or combustible, or artwork with live electrical wires exposed. Other restrictions may apply.
- The City of Los Angeles has a longstanding non-discrimination policy, which recognizes that all employees have a right to a workplace free from discriminatory actions, language or images. Consequently, any form of discrimination is strictly prohibited.
- All work is subject to the final approval of the Curators and Exhibition Preparator.
- LAMAG Curators Hugo Cervantes and Nancy Meyer will invite an artist to develop a solo exhibition in the gallery’s project space at a later date.
DELIVERY OF ARTWORK
- All work must be delivered to the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Park: 4800 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027. Please allow extra time for the intake process. Please bring packing materials. Reasonable accommodation or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request by contacting email@example.com or calling (323) 644-6269. Please bring your entry and loan form printed and signed. Reasonable accommodation or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (323) 644-6269.
ARTWORK PICK UP
- All work must be picked up by the artist at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Park: 4800 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027 between Wednesday, April 3 to Friday, April 5, 2024, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Please bring packing materials.)
- The City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department assumes the privilege of photographing any entry for the purpose of publicity or education. All works must remain on view for the duration of the exhibition. The Municipal Art Gallery is responsible for the placement and hanging of all artworks. Submission of an artwork constitutes agreement on the part of the artist to all listed conditions.
- Submission instructions, including entry and loan forms, will be made available on Friday, October 13, 2023.