Custom Art Surfaces, LLC is an art fabrication shop focusing on museum grade canvases, stretcher bars, panels, and other painting surfaces. Our company provides materials to a wide range of artists in the Los Angeles area specializing in oversize pieces, unique shapes, and custom surface preparation.
We are looking for a full time lead carpenter to join our team in Downtown Los Angeles. The ideal candidate for this position is interested and invested in the LA art scene, has professional carpentry experience, project and employee management experience, and is looking for a creative, collaborative, and hands-on work place.
40 hours per week (9am – 5pm). Starting pay $22-$25 per hour depending on skills and experience. Some flexibility in schedule may be available for the right candidate. Additional benefits include regular access to shop for personal projects, paid time off package, flexible work schedule with optional overtime, and funding for professional development programs.
- Fabrication of stretcher bars, panels, frames, and other custom art objects
- Milling wood to precise specifications
- Operation of woodworking hand and power tools
- Training new employees to fabricate standard products
- Assisting other employees in troubleshooting carpentry challenges
- Working alongside Production/Sales coordinator to establish job priorities and delegate tasks to other carpenters
- Maintaining materials inventory, executing purchase orders and tracking use
- General maintenance, organization, and cleaning of work areas
- Occasionally stretching canvas, linen, muslin, and other painting substrates
- Occasional preparation of painting surfaces with gesso, grounds, and other media
- Occasionally working one on one with clients to achieve specific creative goals
- Occasionally working offsite in artists studios, galleries, etc to fabricate and install onsite projects
- Must have experience with woodworking power tools and be able to safely operate them in a shared shop environment
- 2-3 years of professional carpentry experience (minimum)
- 1-2 years of project management experience
- Experience with employee management/supervision
- Good communication, comprehension, and problem solving skills
- Must have collaborative fabrication experience
- Proficient math and geometry skills
- A strong eye for details and precision while working
- An interest in the craft of fine woodworking
- The ability to lift upwards of 50lbs unassisted and to work standing for extended periods of time
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Finish, cabinet, or bench carpentry experience
- Art fabrication experience
- Canvas stretching and preparation
- Art handling/crating
- Inventory organization and tracking
How to apply
To apply, please email a complete resume and cover letter with references to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Shop Position”. Please do not call the business.