18th Street Arts Center has a steady handyman gig for an independent contractor, preferably with contemporary art experience. 18th Street Arts Center is the largest, continuously running artist residency program in Southern California. Our mission is to provoke public dialogue through contemporary art making. We have an artist Residency Program and Exhibition Program. With a 30 year history, 18th Street has supported thousands of artists through our programs.
The ideal candidate has light building maintenance and art preparator experience, has their own tools and vehicle, and is available 2 days per week (16+ hrs). The individual will perform light maintenance tasks at 18th Street’s Santa Monica properties such as:
- maintain apartment interiors, paint/patch walls, change lights, repair furniture, doors and windows, snake sinks/toilets (mostly clean work)
- Prep gallery for installation of art works, setup and breakdown tables/chairs at events
- 5+ yrs handyman experience
- Bonded and insured
- Ability to move up to 100 lbs
- Own tools and vehicle
- Able to schedule 2 consistent days a week (preferably Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs, 9am – 5pm)
- Highly desirable:
- Familiar with art galleries, artist studio practice
- Experience setting up A/V for small events (50 ppl)
How to apply
To be considered, please send a brief letter introducing yourself, a link to your business, and a list of 3 references to this link: http://18thstreet.org/jobapplication – this link is the best, and fastest way to reach the right person hiring for this position.