ASSOCIATE REGISTRAR, SHIPPING & LOGISTICS
Monday – Friday (Hourly, non-exempt)
David Kordansky Gallery seeks a highly motivated, extremely organized, and collaborative individual to join our team as Associate Registrar, Shipping & Logistics. Reporting to the Registrar, the Associate Registrar, Shipping & Logistics is a critical, cross-departmental role, responsible for supporting a range of significant functions of the operations, sales, and finance teams, including the oversight and coordination of all outgoing shipments. This position is a full-time role, Monday through Friday, and may require flexibility for additional hours based on the needs of the gallery. A generous benefits package is offered.
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
David Kordansky Gallery is one of the most dynamic venues for contemporary art in Los Angeles and is internationally regarded as a leading gallery of its generation. Established in 2003, the exhibition program is dedicated to presenting artists’ work with passion and intellectual rigor, and to bringing the utmost care and precision to showcasing artistic visions. The Gallery is committed to presentations that blend scholarship and connoisseurship with equity and inclusion. We are an institution rooted in our hometown of Los Angeles, and in California, even as we embrace cultural activity as a fully global phenomenon.
Maintaining a culture of belonging is important to us—we strive for a workplace where every single team member feels valued, supported, and heard. We believe in the power of creativity and seek opportunities for connection, collaboration, and learning between cultures and communities. We are committed to championing policies and practices that promote diversity, foster cultural equity, and sustain an environment of inclusivity. The Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Gallery does not discriminate, and does not permit discrimination against its employees, interns, volunteers, or applicants. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of individuals who contribute their time and talents to our mission, and we pledge to create a safe, accessible, and inclusive place to work.
The Gallery’s consistent growth, developed in tandem with its artists’ ambitions, occurs through the unique participation and contribution of each employee. We look for colleagues who are the most driven, the most talented, and the most creative. Every member of the Gallery’s team should aim for excellence and ingenuity, surpassing challenges and discovering new possibilities together. We value long-term commitment and loyalty, and in turn provide avenues for career advancement across all departments.
- Maintain and update gallery inventory records, including exhibition and provenance information, auction inventory, and all related documentation
- Accept and/or release artwork to shippers and/or clients, preparing outgoing work and release paperwork
- Secure quotes for client shipments, liaising with clients and shippers directly; arrange client shipments of sold artwork
- Maintain an understanding of current state sales tax laws, amounts, and exceptions in relation to invoicing and shipping; work with clients and the finance team on accurate sales tax billing
- Liaise with registration team on art fair and exhibition dispersals, overseeing the collection and/or return of artworks in conjunction with the Sales team
- Assist in the artwork donation process, including paperwork and shipping needs
- Maintain offsite and onsite storage inventory, conducting bi-annual audits with the oversight of the Registrar; propose and implement cost-saving measures
- Assist in the packing/unpacking of artworks and condition reporting, as needed
- Maintain hard and digital copies of the artist files, including production, installation, and handling notes
Our ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented and creative with exceptional organizational skills; an excellent verbal and written communicator; and possesses the ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We seek candidates who are extremely self-motivated, responsible, and efficient, and who hold a sincere appreciation for and experience with navigating diverse cultural spaces. In addition:
- Knowledge of contemporary art and art history required
- Minimum two (2) years experience working as a registrar at a contemporary art gallery, auction house, or logistics at a fine art shipping company preferred; additional experience working with a sales team and/or in a client-interfacing role welcomed
- Experience navigating multi-state sales tax laws in relation to invoicing and shipping
- Prior working relationships with multiple fine art shipping companies preferred
- BA in Modern or Contemporary Art History or related field preferred, but consideration is given to candidates with relevant work experience
- Knowledge of various artwork media and fabrication materials and methods, as well as general handling and packing practices and procedures
- Knowledge of contemporary art fairs and experience coordinating related logistics
- Experience in project management, including implementing and overseeing multiple projects with overlapping timelines
- Skills in a Mac-based environment required, including: Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Skills in Adobe Acrobat preferred
- Basic knowledge of databases such as ArtBase / FileMaker (or similar) preferred
- Fluent in English, fluency in an additional language welcomed
- Preference is given to candidates with expert knowledge of best practices in global contemporary art shipping
- BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a full-time hourly position (overtime eligible)
- The pay scale for this position is $25 – $35 per hour
Benefits for full-time employees, following a waiting period, include:
- Fully-paid premium medical and vision insurance
- Discounted dental and long-term disability insurance
- Paid personal and vacation days (starting at 13 days annually)
- Paid sick time (6 days annually)
- Paid holidays and floating holidays (10 days annually)
- Paid gallery closures (typically 8-10 days annually)
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan
- The gallery greatly values the health & safety of its employees, and is following all COVID-19 city, county, and state business guidelines for the pandemic.
- During the pandemic, approximately 20% of the work required of this position can be completed remotely, with regular in-person work required.
How to apply
Please submit the following via email with the subject line “ASSOCIATE REGISTRAR, SHIPPING & LOGISTICS” to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter detailing your previous experience and how you would approach the position
- a resume
In your application, please note all relevant skills requested in the qualifications above.
BIPOC and LGTBQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with most, if not all, of the requested qualifications are invited to apply. Submissions including the above items will be prioritized. No phone or walk-in inquiries, please.