Los Angeles (Venice Beach) art gallery specializing in contemporary painting and sculpture seeks skilled and experienced freelance preparators for project-based and as-needed work.
Ideal candidates will work well under pressure, respond to the aesthetic needs of exhibition production, and be sensitive to the unique demands of a commercial gallery setting.
- Art handling and installation of two- and three-dimensional art objects
- Wrapping and secure packing (including box- and crate-building) and unpacking art works
- Exhibition space preparation: wall painting, patching, clean up, touch up
- Basic condition inspections of framing and artworks
- General exhibition space and gallery maintenance
- Deliveries and pickups of art works, requiring interface with artists and clients
- Knowledge of safe art handling and installation procedures for two- and three-dimensional art objects in a variety of materials, sizes and weights
- Experience with archival wrapping and secure packing techniques, including packing and unpacking of crates
- Knowledge of different types of hanging hardware, their appropriate uses and weight-holding capacities
- Experience with exhibition space preparation, including wall painting, patching, clean up, touch up and maintaining a pristine show environment
- Extremely detail-oriented and capable of taking responsibility for assigned tasks
- Possesses good judgment and communication skills; can interact professionally with gallery directors, clients and artists
- Skilled with hand and power tools
- Capable of lifting minimum 50 lb.s
- Current driver’s license
Other desired skills:
- Heavy sculpture handling
- Rigging and use of a gantry
- Forklift driving
- Light carpentry and framing
– Photoshop, Google SketchUp
How to apply
Please submit cover letter and resume via PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates will be contacted directly. No phone calls, please.